Thursday, May 13, 2010

Love is stronger than death even though it can't stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it can't separate people from love. It can't take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death.
This week has been hard. I received horrible news on Tuesdays that one of my favorite students Donna (wearing black and sunglasses next to me in pic) died in a car accident on Friday she was heading to LA to visit her mother for mothers day. The accident was caused by a young girl making an unsafe lane change traveling North, Donna was heading south. In doing this the car next to the girl tried to swerve out of the way but the girls car hit the other persons car and it spun out on to the South side of I 5, and Donna hit that car and was thrown from her vehicle and died at the scene. No one else was hurt. It was such a tragic death that didn't need to happen.
I don't know the full details ,like if the girl was texting or doing something else while driving. It's being investigated.
I have known Donna for a year and I will miss her bubbly personality and warm smile. She was so giving always giving me cards and gifts.
She will be missed by all.

I will be running my Ohlone 131 mile run in her memory next week and will push myself just like she pushed hard in class. She would always tell me this is hard I can't do this but I would push her and make her dig deep. I taught her to never quit. She was tough and she was so very kind. I will remember all the good times we shared. I still find myself crying when I think of her. But I know she wants me to be happy.

Last week in class there were 3 ducks that came and sat down next to me at the park where we workout out. Donna was lying on the ground, in the middle of her push ups. I told her to stop lying there like the ducks. She said just call me Donna duck and I laughed. Yesterday during my run on Mission peak I saw two ducks. Then I came home to take Rocky out ,and we passed by a creek and I just happened to look down, and there was a duck. I know this was Donna's way of telling me she is ok. As you all know ,I have rubber duckie tattoos and collect rubber duckies. Now seeing ducks will mean so much more to me. It will mean Donna is with me. RIP Donna Lee aka Donna Duck

10 comments:

Tracy said...

I completely believe with all of my heart that Donna is communicating with you via the ducks Catra...That is pretty special my friend. Her memory will live on..and on and on.
Thank You for honoring her here~
xx

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for you loss. I don't really have any other words besides may the running gods smile on you come race day and all the ducks be at peace :)

Anonymous said...

A squirrel visited our URBAN garden the day my FIL passed away. We've lived there 11 years, never seen one before, never seen one since. My mother used to say that animals would often visit us when someone close passes recounting a tale of a robin singing outside the window the day her own father passed.

I am so sorry to hear about your freind.

PunkRockRunner said...

So sad to hear about anyone's time here being cut short for any reason but when it's something like this, it hits even harder.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm sure she will be by your side on many runs to come.

Take care,

Ron

dorrie said...

So sorry for your loss, especially one so sudden and avoidable. She was needed elsewhere. Thank you for your inspiring posts...you are wonderful.

inkskin said...

Life is just a moment, but it is a special one. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Donna. I didn't know her, but feel your connection to her. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful friend to so many people, Catra. I'll look forward to seeing you at SD100 where I'll be driving the logistics truck overnight . . . Good vibes for a great Ohlone run in Donna's honor. ~ Mer

Leslie said...

As always, good thoughts your way Catra.

jill said...

Donna was always so helpful and friendly when I was at the Get Fit classes. A sad loss for this world. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Anonymous said...

Catra, I am so very sorry for your lost. I truly know how hard is to lose someone, who we think the world of them. However, as you mentioned in your blog post she is doing so well and she is very greatful for evereything you did for her. She felt strong and loved it. Before she passed to a better place you change her life in this world and for that you are bless and will be forever.